Friday, July 1, 2011

DIY Project: Fabric Magnet Board

When traveling, many people like to pick up some type of souvenir. About 6 years ago, we began collecting magnets from places we visit. They've always been on the side of our refrigerator, but recently it struck me that they don't really need to be there because we use them simply for decoration, not for actual sticking purposes! So I had the idea of making some type of magnet board, that could be elsewhere in our house, thus decluttering the fridge.

I found this great tutorial HERE (Shanty 2 Chic). There were several tutorials I looked at, but many just wanted to disassemble a magnetic dry-erase board & use that, whereas I wanted a cute frame! I won't re-post the instructions, since you can read them there, but here's what I did differently:

An 11x14" frame from Walmart, already liked it so didn't paint it, $5
A 12x18" piece of galvanized metal from Menards (cut to size with a tin snips), about $5
A simple piece of cardboard from a box I was going to recycle anyway  :-)

I LOVE how it turned out!
It's hanging in my newly remodeled laundry room, since I didn't have anything on the walls in there yet.  I like it so much I'm actually thinking about making a second, identical one to hang there too...I like being able to space the magnets out a bit so the fabric shows more, and obviously we will keep collecting magnets, so we'll need somewhere to put them!

2 comments:

  1. So cool! We do the same thing with magnets...I may have to make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this idea! *visiting from Delightful Order*

    ReplyDelete