Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Quick Tip Tuesday - Prioritizing To-Do Lists

Image Source: TyTribble.com

I'm a list maker. I have been for a long time. And especially since having children, I need lists because I'm plagued with "mommy brain". If you don't know what mommy brain is, it's simple: pregnancy brain does not go away when your child is born, it simply morphs into mommy brain. I think mommy brain is unique, because it (for me, anyway) only affects the here-and-now; I have an excellent memory overall, I can remember all kinds of odd things from the past, but if I don't make a to-do list for myself today, I will completely forget some of the things I wanted to get done.

Sorry, tangent. Back to the topic at hand.

I've found that prioritizing my to-do lists is important. Make your list, and then pick 3 or 4 tasks that NEED to be done today. Maybe you have a bill that's due, maybe you're out of milk, maybe you're wearing your last pair of clean underwear. Focus on those tasks first, and once they're out of the way you can move on to the rest of the list. If you need to, put a star next to the tasks you chose, so you'll remember!

And of course, cross off tasks as you do them! It makes you feel like you're accomplishing something because you can SEE it. I must admit that sometimes I even write down a task that I already completed, just so I can cross it off. Hey, it probably should have been on the list to begin with, right?

Some days you may not have anything that really seems like a priority, and that's totally fine. Do some of your "fun" to-do's, or simply do nothing at all!

1 comment:

  1. I usually make my lists afterwards just so I can cross things off. In grad school, though, when I had so much going on, I went out and bought the biggest black marker I could find, which made it extra satisfying to cross things off the list. ;)

    ReplyDelete