Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Quick Tip Tuesday - Purging Clothes

First of all, I apologize for the lateness of this post. We were gone all day on sort of a last-minute back-to-school shopping trip, and I didn't have a post pre-written!

Hubby & I are redoing our master closet (that's just a teaser, you'll have to wait for the reveal soon!), so decluttering clothes has been on my mind the last couple days. I have two quick purging tips I'd like to share with you:

1) Purge clothes at the end of each season, not just once a year. If you do it when it's natural to rotate your clothing anyway, it's current in your mind what clothes didn't fit, what you don't like anymore, what you never wore, etc.

2) Purge clothes that don't fit the current "season" of your life. This is a bit more vague, so let me explain. I've been removing more clothes from my closet (I did a big purge last spring), and while there are several shirts I still really like, I've realized that as a stay-at-home mom, I just don't wear them enough. And by enough, I mean, at all. They're dressier shirts leftover from my days of working outside the home, not at all something I would wear around the house with my little ones. When I do get a chance to go out & dress up a little, I have other shirts that are my current favorites, so they're the ones I always pick. And these poor, sad, but still cute, shirts get left behind. So it's time for them to find a new home, where they will be loved and appreciated.

And yes, I realize clothes don't actually have feelings.

2 comments:

  1. Just took about 7 bags of stuff to the thrift store - purging for 2 girls and me at the end of the season. It feels great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I would be willing to look at your purged items and maybe purchase some from you before you purge purge them.

    ReplyDelete