Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cute Jewelry Storage!

Earlier this week I promised you details of my recent jewelry display project!  So here's what happened.

I was out digging around in the garage a couple weeks ago & stumbled upon this lovely wall hanging:
Umm...yeah...it came from my just-out-of-college time when I was living in my very first place, all by myself & was desperate to have stuff on the walls so it looked like "home". Pretty sure I bought it at a garage sale, and it hung in my bathroom because the frame matched my sage green shower curtain (that we still have in our main bath - hey!).

But the picture is SO not my style. Then I had a brilliant upcycling idea - I was in the midst of redoing our master closet & had been wanting to create some sort of "thing" to display some of my jewelry. I'd seen so many cute ideas on Pinterest, and I knew this frame would be perfect!

So I cut some chicken wire to fit the frame, spray-painted the front side of it white, and secured it in the frame by bending these little metal tabs down. This pic shows the back side of the wire, which is why it's still metal-looking.

Then I measured & pre-drilled 6 holes for screw-in cup hooks. Ignore the metal rod...I balanced it on our towel rack for this picture!

Lastly, I nailed a couple picture hangers to the back, since it had originally hung vertically & I switched it to horizontal.

Then I popped it up inside our closet, and hung my jewelry from it!  Cute cute, right?

Have you had any brilliant upcycling ideas lately?

5 comments:

  1. I was thinking about doing something like that for my necklaces to put them in my closet. But didn't think about the chicken wire for the earings too. That's an even better idea for adding to it. I may just think about getting around to a project of this sort some time! :)

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Very creative and it looks super nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have SO been wanting to do this! I just haven't found a frame on the cheap!? Hmmm I need to a garage sale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this...can't wait to find a cheap frame so I can make one! Thanks for linking up to the Creative Genius Link Party! I'd love to see you link up again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How creative! I would have never thought to do something like that...now, Im looking around my house to do something similar! ;)

    ReplyDelete