Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Quick Tip Tuesday - Don't Put Off Filing

via
This Quick Tip is coming from a personal place today. I can admit it, I procrastinate at things that I don't really want to do in the first place, like filing for example. Though I do know the two reasons that I put it off:
1) We don't have a "convenient" place to store our main files; somewhere that I can access easily on a daily basis as papers trickle in. I've adapted by using my easy access desk filing box with a folder entitled "To File".
2) The only time I really have in a given day without children running around & getting in to everything is after they are all in bed for the night....and that's my time with Hubby, to relax & talk without shouting over the noise!

So in my honesty, I must admit that the "to file" folder had transferred to a "to file" basket in the closet where our files are stored. I'm not even joking. It's embarrassing to admit. Not a giant basket, mind you, but a basket nonetheless. I should have taken a picture of it, but wasn't thinking of a blog post at the time!

So anyway, this afternoon I was clearing some clutter from the landing of our stairs, some of which went in to said closet. I noticed the basket there and thought, "You know, if I put that & the file box up on the table, I could totally start filing while the kids are running around."

So I did.

And it took me all of...15 minutes?  Maybe 20?  And there was 5 months worth of paperwork in there too!  I'll have to remember that next time my folder is full....no more baskets ...just DO it!

It's such a good feeling too; knowing that those papers were waiting for me has been weighing on my shoulders for months. I feel much better knowing that everything is put where it's supposed to be, and that if I need to find a paper I won't have to be worried about it.

Speaking of filing - I will be sharing my filing system with you all sometime in the next week!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I just found your blog today, and I have to say that I, too, am guilty of procrastinating with paperwork. I work in at an accounting office full time (dealing with paperwork and forms), so when I get home, the LAST thing I want to do is deal with MORE paperwork. Earlier this year I gave up pretending that I was going to get to it all, so I bought a few pretty storage boxes, labeled them by year, and just threw everything (except for permanent papers like medical records and insurance forms) from each year in there. It's not a pretty site when you open them, but to be quite honest, the ONLY time I open it is to throw more crap in there! lol

    ReplyDelete