Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Quick Tip Tuesday - One Laundry Load a Day

Awhile back, I posted this question to you all, looking for input on your laundry routine. I was trying to figure out what would work best for me & my family.

via

Until recently, I had been setting aside one or two days a week as my "laundry days"...simply because one of my neighbors does it that way & she has 5 kids, so I figured that must be the way to do it! I didn't focus on much else around the house, just worked on getting as much laundry done as possible. But, I always struggled with getting all of that laundry folded (my girls' clothes usually didn't even get folded) & it usually didn't get put away until several days later....which was always a source of stress for me, and I was constantly running out of clothes baskets. So it wasn't working for me.

Recently, I started doing one load of laundry each day, occasionally two if really needed, and weekends are optional (or as necessary). I've found this "system" to be much less stressful - I totally have time to get one single load folded and put away, and even if there's enough to do another load or two (or three!), I can simply tell myself that I don't have to do it until tomorrow! I think it's working well.

6 comments:

  1. I am falling into that routine also. Sometimes I have to do two loads though because of diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. That's usually what my second load is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the "one load a day" (or every other day) method too, even with only two people in our house. Otherwise I have the same problem that clothes never leave the living room couch, even if they're folded in a basket. Thanks for passing on the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing one load a day works best for us (but one of us is usally at the YMCA everyday, so washing those workout clothes is a must, daily). We will start a load at night and throw in dryer before bed (DH usually folds the laundry while watching TV...either at night or early morning). Sometimes we also start a load in the morning and throw it in the dryer before heading out the door for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laundry is part of my morning routine - i simply do whatever the 'next step' is - it could be that I start a load, or putting clothes away that I folded the night before...just doing a little each day keeps it maintained in our family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not in a very good routine, but the book you gave me Randi about organization had an amazing tip. The mom that wrote it suggested not sorting colors. Seriously. Each member of the family has their own basket. When it's full, it is all dumped in and washed and dried and then back into the basket to fold and put away. It saves all the sorting time. She did recommend that you be careful with hand wash and reds the first time, so I am also. My 5 year old can manage to do the laundry with just a little help, so I am hoping that this could become their own chore eventually....

    ReplyDelete