Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Quick Tip Tuesday - Organizing Digital Photos

via
Here's the method I use to keep our digital photos organized:

Within the master photo file (My Pictures or wherever you keep them, ours are on an external hard drive), create a folder labeled for each year. Within that folder, I create folders for each month...but instead of naming them January, February, etc. I date them with the last day of the month - for example, 1-31-2011. This way, they always remain in correct numerical order, whereas if you spell out the month names they will sometimes alphabetize.

Here's a screenshot to show you what I mean:

How do you keep your digital photos organized? Any tips to share?

2 comments:

  1. I name the folders with the year 2011, and then within the year we have folders for specific family members or big events like a vacation. I rename each photo with whos in it so I can do a search on a name and get all the photos of that person (or the dog). Ex: in the 2011 folder, there is another folder called Mia. each photo is mia_wrestling.jpg, mia_sleeping.jpg... etc.
    And from experience of losing my kids high school years on digital photos.. HAVE MORE THAN ONE PLACE TO BACK UP YOUR FILES and back them up regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use shutterfly with the shutterfly app on my ipad and I love it. Uploaded, backed up, tagged and organized. Done. Now if I only made time to scrapbook them....

    ReplyDelete